Going Away with Scheme

Welcome to the Going Away Scheme Information Page for advice and support of Leaders who want to take their unit on a residential experience and do not yet hold a licence.

A residential licence, known as the Going Away with Scheme, covers overnight events ( all sections), indoor holidays (Brownies, Guides and Senior Section) and camps (Brownies, Guides and Senior Section) as well as International events. To achieve a licence you need to complete modules similar to the leadership scheme.

To be able to take your unit away you must hold the Leadership Qualification and hold or be working towards a residential licence.

A leader who wants to take their residential qualification should attend the annual residential qualification training day, usually held in the spring term. This is a valuable source of information and gives you the chance to meet many of the advisors who will be able to help you on your journey. Further information and current guidance can be found on the Girlguiding UK website here.

You should start by discussing what you are planning to do with your District or Division Commissioner. If you then wish to begin working on the Going Away with Scheme, your commissioner will put you in touch with your local residential advisor who will be able to answer questions, help and mentor you through the process.

At least 12 weeks before your event, you need to submit your REN (Residential Event Notification) form to your commissioner and at the same time your Request for Residential Assessment form, found here, needs to be completed and emailed to Jane Luff.

The REN is now available electronically and can be generated under EVENTS when logged into Go! Consent and Health Forms must be downloaded on each occasion that you need to use them, as they are updated periodically. Click here to find the latest unit and residential forms for download.

Your assigned residential advisor will help you through the various modules that you need to complete to achieve a residential licence. An assessment takes place at the event for which you will be visited by one of the County advisors/assessors.

If you are being assessed we ask you to undertake you event within Surrey East, although there are a few exceptions to this e.g. Blacklands Farm,  Heyswood, and Walton Firs. If you want to be assessed outside the County please contact Jane Luff , before you book your event. Please try to avoid the first week of the school summer holidays as this is the week that most advisors  and assessors) take their own units on a residential experience.

Related Activities & Events

These events also require notification to be given at least 12 weeks in advance of the event

    • Queen Guides Exploration or Expedition (County Outdoor Advisor)
    • Senior Section Permits or Guide Camp Permits (County Residential Advisor)

International Module:  For anyone wishing to look at taking groups abroad, please contact Amy Lovell.  18 months notice is required for International trips 

Find out more about taking girls abroad here

    There are no upcoming events at this time.

    To request a Residential Assessment please download and complete the Request for Assessment form and email to the County Residential Advisor, Jane Luff


    County Residential and Outdoor Advisor: Jane Luff

    County International Advisor: Amy Lovell

    Local residential and camp advisors are appointed to support and mentor you as needed, your DC will be able to put you in touch.

    Get Out and About

    Once you have your Residential Qualification you could stay local and visit our County Campsite and Holiday House at Faurefold or Little Acres Campsite and Lodge in Epsom and did you know that the Empire Hall in Horley is available for sleepovers!

    Want to go further afield? That’s fine! You can use Guiding and Scouting sites anywhere in the UK if you have your Going Away with Scheme licence and there are loads of places to explore in London and South East Region.

    The LaSER website carries a great resource list and links to the National Activity Centres

    Campsites | Girlguiding LaSER

    If you want to go abroad with your girls, talk to the International Adviser at least 18 months before you start planning.